He first came to Bellevue in the spring of 1881 when he was 19, but soon went back to Jacksonville, PA, where he began working as a blacksmith. After a year and a half, he came back to Bellevue and after working for a time with other smiths, set up his own shop.
Following this, he spent eight years as a blacksmith at the Nickel Plate roundhouse. In 1911 he opened his shop on Exchange St. where the late Dr. A.A. Maike’s park lot is now. He continued in business there until his retirement in 1944.
His retirement was forced by a fractured jaw he received while working. Sam was able to continue working in the blacksmith business long after the passing of horses because he did not specialize in shoeing horses, but preferred to set tires and make and repair parts for farm equipment.