BELLEVUE FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Bellevue Fire Department provides the citizens of Bellevue, Ohio, and the townships we serve with high-quality emergency service through professionalism, dedication, and training. The Bellevue Fire Department works to safeguard lives and property and to enhance the quality of life of the people we serve. This is accomplished by providing a vast range of emergency and public services, with strong public relations and fire safety programs.
The Bellevue Fire Department also endeavors to protect and preserve the health of our firefighters and to return our personnel safely to their families.
The City of Bellevue’s Fire Department has been located at its current station on Southwest Street since it was built in 1985. The building’s three bays provide over 3,250 square feet of floor space to house the department’s fire apparatuses. The facility also provides approximately 3,800 square feet of offices, training room, workshop, exercise room, and living quarters.
Fire Coverage Area
The Bellevue City limits extend into Sandusky, Huron, and Erie Counties. In addition to providing fire protection to the City of Bellevue, the Fire Department’s coverage includes Lyme Township (Huron County), Thompson Township (Seneca County), and York Township (Sandusky County). The department’s total area of coverage is approximately 97 square miles.
The City of Bellevue and its Fire Department have entered into mutual aid contracts with many surrounding communities. These contracts extend the department’s area of service even further. The contracts include all Huron County Communities, as well as Attica, Clyde, Fremont, Green Springs, Perkins Township, and the City of Sandusky.
The history of the Bellevue Fire Department dates back to the days when Bellevue was known as Amsden Corners. There are no records to show exactly when the department organized. The “Bucket Brigade” dates back to the 1830s. These were volunteers who kept a leather bucket close at hand in the event of a fire.
The first fire company was organized in 1865 and boasted some 50 volunteers. The city purchased its first piece of fire equipment, a hand drawn and operated pumper, in 1869 from the city of Tiffin. Charles Nicholai became Bellevue’s first fire chief.
In 1876 an additional unit, the hook and ladder company was organized, with 30 men. J.A. Higbee donated $300 for equipment, and in his honor the company named the unit the “Higbee Hook and Ladder Co.”. Hook and Ladder Tournaments were extremely popular in the 1870’s and 1880’s. The Higbee Hook won several of these tournaments.
In 1919 the city purchased its first motorized fire apparatus. This 1918 LaFrance Fire Engine boasted a 105 horsepower engine and could pump 750 gallons of water per minute during operation. Fire Chief Van Barklow resigned his position with the Nickel Plate Rail Road to become Bellevue’s first full-time fire chief. Carl Ruppert was named driver and mechanic for the new auto fire truck.
Today’s Apparatus and Equipment
The Bellevue Fire Department currently operates 7 vehicles. These include 1 aerial truck, 3 pumpers, 1 tanker, 1 4×4 pickup, and 1 utility vehicle. These apparatuses along with selected features, with most recent purchases listed first are as follows:
In March of 1998 the department received a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The vehicle, B-1, operates as the Chief’s vehicle and incident command vehicle.
In May of 1997 receipt was made of a 1997 95’ E-One Platform on a Hurricane Chassis. T-1 is equipped with a 1,500 gallon per minute Hale pump, a 200 gallon booster tank, and 900 feet of 5″ hose.
B-4, a 1,500 gallon tanker was purchased in 1996. The vehicle sits on a 1988 Ford F-700 Chassis and features a 350 gallon per minute p.t.o. pump, 10″ rear quick dump, and carries a 1,500 gallon portable pond.
In December of 1993 delivery was made of a 1993 Quality pumper on a Spartan Diamond Chassis. B-8 features a 1,500 gallon
per minute Waterous pump, a 1,000 gallon booster tank, and 1,150 feet of 5″ hose. The truck also carries the Jaws of Life and Rescue Air Bags.
In 1992 the department received a 1992 Ford F-150 pick-up truck. This vehicle, B-3, is used as a utility vehicle and carries miscellaneous Haz-Mat supplies and equipment.
B-7, delivered in October of 1989 is a Custom Sutphen Pumper. The truck features a 1,500 gallon per minute Hale pump, a 1,000 gallon booster tank, and 1,050 feet of 5″ hose.
In August 2006, a 2006 Sutphen Pumper was purchased. The truck has a 2,000 gallon a minute pump with a 1,000 gallon booster tank and it has 1,000 feet of 5″ LDH with a remote operational monitor.
In addition to providing fire protection services to the departments fire district, the department provides other emergency services as well. These include but are not limited to, auto extrications, hazardous material containment and clean up, carbon monoxide and natural gas investigations, and management of other hazardous conditions. Non-emergency public services include fire safety inspections, public education, and fire prevention.
The Last Alarm
A memorial stands in the front of the station, for those firefighters who have fallen in the line of duty.
In Memory of
|Van Barklow||James E. Harvey|
|Feb 7, 1936||Aug 18, 1988|